Durra Language Center Methodology
The approach of teaching Arabic to non-native speakers at Durra Language Center takes into account the achievement of high levels in the three competencies together, through the implementation of latest methods and approaches of teaching foreign languages to non-native speakers. This comes with the aim of raising their linguistic capacity and developing their independent thinking in Arabic language.
To achieve linguistic competency - that includes: language skills; reading, writing, listening, and conversation, and includes: sounds, vocabulary, and grammatical structures – the best textbook has been selected to provide abundance in the activities and classroom practice sessions, in addition to the diversity of the strategies used in the education process, within a distinctive teaching environment.
To achieve communicative competency, we have committed ourselves not to use an intermediate language, and to provide a language friend/partner in our dormitory to make sure student speaks Arabic language around the clock. The aim is for the student to reach an advanced level of communication in Arabic.
To achieve cultural competency, our teaching approach has included different interactive social activities, in addition to visits to historical and cultural sites in Jordan to learn about the cultural and Islamic traditions in Arabic language.
Bases for preparing programs
Program for teaching Arabic language to non-native speakers has been prepared on the following important linguistic and educational bases:
- Focusing on the sound system in Arabic language, and dealing with it in a clear and precise way by presenting the letter in all its different forms (beginning of the word, middle of the word, attached at the end of the word, and separate at the end of the word), in addition to the differentiation between short formation of the letter and long one.
- Choosing a well-known and widely used vocabulary, preferring real than metaphorical, considering presentation of vocabulary in public contexts, and the use of images linked to words, especially the perceived meanings.
- Focusing on functional part when presenting vocabulary and compositions, and be linked to daily life situations.
- Enrich program by presenting variety of subjects: Cultural, historical, literary, political, economic, and discussing Arabic and Islamic cultural subjects.
- Adopting the unit system in presenting the learning material, and considering the balance between linguistic skills and its components.
- Focusing on visual and sound effects through the use of videos, sound clips, and images.
- Adopting the concept of gradual teaching of the language, to be in line with the student’s level of knowledge.
- Provide enough variety of exercises in each unit, starting from easy examples moving gradually to difficult ones, starting with verbal before written.
- Focusing on gaining competencies: Linguistic, communication, and cultural.
The program was established on the following administrative and educational bases:
- Progress of the educational process, in all its details, including: plan, lesson preparation, tools, Etc.
- Educational supervision: Control, follow up, evaluation.
- Quality control.
Objectives of The Program for Teaching Arabic to Non-Native Speakers
- Learning Arabic alphabets and letters characteristics both reading and writing.
- Learning components of a sentence, and how to build it and analyze it.
- Learning Arabic language basic grammar and structure.
- Gaining basic concepts about Arabic culture.
- Identify the rhetorical styles of the Arabic language.
Professional and practical skills:
- Master communication with others using correct Arabic language.
- Master the expression of ideas, and the practical application of educational materials.
- Proficiency in the use of grammar in written and oral applications.
- Acquire the ability to use the skills and elements of Arabic language.
- Gaining communication skills using Arabic language.
- Gaining discussion and dialogue using a proper language and sequential ideas.
- Reach to independent thinking using Arabic language.